Buzz Buzz Beez

Friday, July 22, 2005

Update

I’ve read enough blogs to know that whenever someone is optimistic about something, like a weight change or a new relationship, it usually means that that endeavor is doomed. Somehow, I never thought it would happen to me. We did our show the next night anxiously scanning the crowd for our new friends the ballroom dance couple but alas, they were nowhere to be seen. We were disappointed, but I don’t think any of us were surprised. Some stars shine too brightly ever to be obtained. But we have not let their absence dampen our friendship at all, and we still enthusiastically talk to them whenever we our lucky enough to cross their paths.

We had last week off and were flown home, as Rosie O’Donnell had chartered the ship for her gay families cruise, and she used Broadway entertainment and little singers such as CYNDI LAUPER and MELISSA ETHERIDGE instead of the ship entertainers. It was great to go home for a week because we have all renewed our contracts on the boat so we won’t get to go anywhere else until January. On Sunday I went to see “Doubt” on Broadway. I had bought my tickets at the last minute so I ended up being in the front row, which I highly recommend. I had bragged about how great my seats were and how Tony Award winners were going to be making eye contact with me, to which Beth replied, “Only if they’re lousy actors.” Well, you can imagine the egg on her face when I told her how the first scene is a monologue where the actor (a certified Tony winner) who plays the priest delivers a monologue to his parish, i.e., the audience, and makes eye contact with various members, i.e., me, throughout. The other exciting part of attending the play was that Jason Bateman was in the audience. I played it pretty cool, and was able to stop myself from telling him how glad that “Arrested Development” is going to be back on the air. Just so I don’t seem too shallow, I should say the play was incredible and raised a lot of issues about faith and the church that I thought about, and also the acting was – not to get hyperbolic or anything – brilliant. But it was still exciting to see Jason Bateman in the audience.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home